I found this on Craiglist today and it sounds like the quintessential volunteering for me. I love technology and I get to help mentor a motivated teen. They have orientation tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to!
Southwest Community Enrichment Center – Teens ‘N Technology Program
1341 S. 46th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19143
“Why did you do all this for me?” Wilbur asked. “I don’t deserve it. I’ve never done anything for you.”
“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. …”By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift my life a trifle.
Heaven knows, anyone’s life can stand a little of that.” -- E.B. White, Charlotte’s Web
What is the Teens ‘N Technology Program?
The TNT Program has been in operation for nine years. The program aims to motivate inner city high school juniors from West Philadelphia and Bartram High Schools to stay in school by developing their computer skills and giving them the tools necessary to be successful in higher education and the business world. To meet these goals, the weekly two-hour computer classes focus on discipline, responsibility, and pride in accomplishment. Each student is provided with an internet-ready computer for use in his/her home during the course. Upon completion of the program, students may keep the computers.
Why add mentoring to the TNT Program?
Past experience has shown us that while most of the TNT students plan to attend college, many have not been able to earn a college degree due to factors beyond their control. Often, their high school coursework did not prepare them academically for the rigors of college and/or they did not receive adequate guidance in choosing an appropriate school. Research has shown that students benefit significantly and are far more successful in reaching their goals when they are provided with the assistance and guidance of a mentor. An overwhelming majority of mentors from organizations across the country report that their mentoring experience was positive and that it enriched their own lives, as well.
Mentor Profile
NO TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE NECESSARY! We are seeking volunteers who have a sincere desire to make a positive difference in a young person’s life. Mentors should have the ability to communicate and connect with predominantly African-American and African teenagers and should have an interest in the needs of youth who experience internal and external barriers to educational and career advancement. Ideally, mentors will have experience with admissions testing, the college application process, financial aid, school selection and the expectations of colleges and employers. Candidates must be able to express sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural, and/or racial backgrounds. It is our hope that mentors will:
• Empower low-income high school students to reach their full potential
• Expose students to options and opportunities
• Guide students in exploring realistic goals
• Develop students’ self-esteem
Please contact Emily Hirshorn, Program Director, at (215)386-0641 or email tnt.program@gmail.com to learn more about becoming a mentor.
Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"NO TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!" /chuckle
Just don't teach them to play WoW or any other similar games, or they will never finish school!
No, seriously, I think its awesome that you volunteer! I should figure out some way that I could, I'm just so selfish with the little time I have away from the kids.
T.N.T. (OI! OI! OI!)
T.N.T. (OI! OI! OI!)
T.N.T. (OI! OI! OI!)
T.N.T. (OI! OI! OI!)
T.N.T. (OI!)
I'm dynamite (OI! OI!)
T.N.T. (OI!)
And I'll win the fight,
T.N.T.
I'm a power load
T.N.T.
Watch me explode!
Post a Comment