Sunday, November 14, 2004

The Grudge

I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to scary movies, I'm a huge chicken. Ever since I was a little kid, scary movies would really freak me out, but The Grudge definitely did its job in giving the chills. Last night Angela, Pamela and I intended to go see the Incredibles with our neighbors but we were running late and it was all sold out by the time we got there. In its stead, we decided to watch The Grudge since it was something all 3 of commented on it being really scary looking in the previews.

<--SPOILER TO FOLLOW-->


The Grudge is a very simple and predictable story, but told in an exquisite non-linear format that definitely still gave me mental shocks as we watched. Set in modern day Tokyo, there is a haunted house that kills all of its occupants in a most frightening manner. Executed by a mother-son fright crew, Ju-On (The Grudge) has perfect timing when it comes to flashing scenes of the frightening mom and son.

Via a series of costumes, make-up, camera angles and good scary acting, Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar) managed to convincingly draw me into the story and put the fear of all shadows, showers, bathtubs, beds and corners into me. That's too bad for Angela because I am insisting that she be my companion related to all of those things (especially the shower mwhaha)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't worry tim; i'm a chicken too. i'm still scared!angela will hopefully protect us!